Dr. Saswati Saha
Designation: Assistant Professor
Date of Joining: 08/05/2014
Academic record & distinction
- PhD from Centre for Studies in Social Sciences Calcutta (affiliated to Jadavpur University), 2021.Thesis title: “English Literary Travelogues in Bengali: A Study of Social Reformation, Translation and Assimilation.”
- M. Phil in Social Sciences from Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta (affiliated to Jadavpur University), 2012.Thesis Title: Translating Primers: Politics of Knowledge-making in Nineteenth-Century Bengal.”
- MA (English) from Jadavpur University, 2010
- Qualified UGC-NET, 2010
- BA (English hons.) from Jadavpur University, 2008
- Awarded IATIS Solidarity & Scientific Excellence Bursary by the International Association for Translation and Intercultural Studies Organizing Committee for the 7th International IATIS Conference 2021 in Barcelona, Spain.
- Awarded Charles Wallace India Trust Research Grant for short term research in UK in 2019
- Awarded American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA) Travel Grant to attend the ACLA Annual Meeting 2018.
- Awarded scholarship by Institute of Collaborative Research in Humanities, Queen’s University Belfast to attend the Institute of Irish Studies International Summer School, 2014.
- Awarded ICSSR Doctoral Fellowship in 2012
Areas of Specialization
Postcolonial Literary Studies; Translation Studies; Travel Literature; Book History; Nineteenth-Century Bengal Studies.
- Saha, Saswati. “Truth or Treachery?: Questioning Authenticity and Invisibility in Travel and Translation”.Translation, Nation and Knowledge Society: A Special Issue of Translation Today. Vol 13, no. 1, 2019, ISSN: 0972-8740, E-ISSN: 0972-8090. 166-174.
- Saha, Saswati. “Indian Anuvad or English Translation?: Combining Tradition and Modernity in the Nationalistic Translation of Nineteenth Century Bengal”. Translation Today. Vol 13, no. 2, 2019, ISSN: 0972-8740, E-ISSN: 0972-8090.
- “Travelling Across Languages: Translation and Plurilingualism in Interlingual Travel”. Sahitya. Vol 8, 2019, pp- 65-78. E-ISSN: 2249-6416.
- Saha, Saswati. “Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World: Travel, Translation and a New Life of Gulliver’s Travels in Colonial Bengal”. Jadavpur University Essays and Studies, Vol. 32, 2019. ISSN: 0975-3478.