Shri Irfan Ahmad
Date of Joining: 07-12-2015
Academic record & distinction
Bachelor’s Degree in Chinese language from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi with 84.70% marks.
Master's Degree in Chinese language from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi with 77.50% marks.
Advanced Studies in Chinese language for one year from Beijing Language University (北京语言大学) in 2011-2012 scoring 81.05% marks.
UGC NET & UGC JRF in Chinese language.
MPhil. in Chinese language from Jawaharlal Nehru University, with 68.30% marks.
M.Phil. Dissertation Title: Culture, Language and Soft Power Diplomacy in India and China (2003-2014): A Comparative Discourse Analysis.
- Empanelled as Advisor and Subject Expert (Chinese Language), UPSC (Union Public Service Commission), GOI dated Dec 27, 2017.
- Did Simultaneous Interpretation for Prime Minister of India and other dignitaries at Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit dated Jan 17-19, 2019.
- Got Ministry of Human Resource Development, GOI and Chinese government joint and full fellowship for full time higher studies in Chinese language at Beijing Language and Culture University, China in 2011-2012 for one year.
- Topped All India Chinese Bridge contest (most reputed Chinese language contest) and represented India in International Chinese Bridge contest at Beijing in 2013, which was broadcasted on Hunan TV channel, was awarded‘outstanding’ prize and ‘Confucius Fellowship’in the contest.
- Was interviewed by several Chinesemedia outlets as a Chinese language research scholar.
- Qualified for UGC JRF in first attempt; secured highest marks for JRF exam in Chinese language in Feb 2013, all over India.
- Secured highest marks in JNU Chinese department entrance test, 2007, all over India.
- Translated renowned Chinese classic “Moment in Peking” having approx 7 lakh words into Hindi, under the joint project of National Book Trust and Ministry of Exterenal Affairs(Publicity Division) in the year 2020.
- Participated in Indian Mandarin Chinese Teacher’s Workshop (Held in Taiwan) from 03-07-2018 to 13-07-2018.
- Polyglot (Know Hindi, English, Chinese, Urdu, Persian, Arabic, Hebrew, Turkish, Bhojpuri and Nepali).
Areas of specialisation:
India-China Soft Power, Chinese Language, Chinese Culture.
1. Ahmad, Irfan, "China’s Political Rhetoric: Concept of ‘Cultural Soft Power’", Third World Impact , Jan-June 2016, Vol. XXVII,pp.20-23, ISSN 2231-5020.
2. Ahmad, Irfan , “Bypass Beijing’s Propaganda by Accessing Chinese Social Media”, The Quint, Aug 02, 2017.
3. Ahmad, Irfan ,“चीनीकवियोंकीअनुदितकविताएंइरफानअहमदकीकलमसे”, Media Mirror,Jul 31, 2017.
4. Published translation of selected Chinese poems in Samnawya Hinchi, first Hindi magazine in China, published by ‘Hindi in China’ group in its Jan 2019 edition.
5. Ahmad, Irfan ,“परिंदेकेनाम”, Amar Ujala Kavya, May 09, 2020.