Professor T.B. Subba
Brief Academic Background
Professor T.B. Subba did his Master’s and PhD from the University of North Bengal, Siliguri. He was Lecturer and later Senior Lecturer at the University of North Bengal between 1985 and 1991 when he joined North-Eastern Hill University, Shillong as Reader and became a professor in the same university in 1997. He has successfully supervised 3 MPhil and 10 PhD theses.
Between 1997 and 2012 he served as Head of the Department of Anthropology for three terms and Dean of the School of Human and Environmental Sciences once. He also served as the Honorary Director of the Indian Council of Social Science Research in Shillong during this period.
Currently, he is also serving as the Vice-Chairman, State Higher Education Council, Government of Sikkim & Chairman, Board of Governors for Centre for Computers and Communication Technology, Chisopani, South Sikkim and Advanced Technical Training Centre, Bardang, East Sikkim.
- Gold Medal for securing first class first in MA (1980).
- Christian Institute for the Study of Religion and Society (Bangalore) Junior Research Fellowship 1980‑81.
- University Grants Commission (New Delhi) Junior Research Fellowship 1981‑85.
- Homi Bhabha Fellowship (Mumbai) 1992‑94 for post-doctoral research.
- Dr. Panchanan Mitra Lectureship 2007 awarded by the Asiatic Society, Kolkata.
- DAAD Guest-professorship at the Free University of Berlin, Germany in 2008.
- Baden-Wuerttemberg Fellowship at the South Asian Institute, Heidelberg University, Germany in 2010-11.
- R.P. Chanda Centenary Medal for 2015, awarded by the Asiatic Society, Kolkata.
Member of Professional/Academic Bodies
- Life Member, Indian Sociological Society, Delhi
- Life & Founding Member, Anthropological Association, Mysore
- Founding General Council Member, Indian National Confederation and Academy of Anthropologists, Kolkata.
- Honorary Life Fellow, Indian Social Science Association, Agra.
- Life Member and Sectional Secretary (2008-09), Indian Science Congress Association, Kolkata.
- Member, First Academic Council, Sikkim University (2009-2011).
- Member, Advisory Committee, Anthropological Survey of India (2007-10).
- Member, Indira Gandhi Rastriya Manav Sangrahalaya Council, Bhopal (2010-15).
- Member of the Advisory Committee for Intangible Cultural Heritage constituted by Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH), New Delhi, since 2014.
- Member of the Academic Council, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi from 14.5.2015.
- Member of the Academic Council, Amarkantak National Tribal University, Amarkantak w.e.f. 31st July 2015.
Some Recent Publications
- Nature, Environment and Society: Conservation, Governance and Transformation in India. Edited with Nicolas Laine. New Delhi: Orient Blackswan, 2012.
- North-East India: A Handbook of Anthropology. New Delhi: Orient Blackswan, 2012.
- Nepali Diaspora in the Globalised Era. Edited with A.C. Sinha. London and New York: Routledge, 2016.