Prof. Jyoti Prakash Tamang
Date of Joining: 14/03/2012
Academic record & distinction
MSc (Botany with Microbiology), Darjeeling Government College, NBU, Darjeeling (Gold Medal)
PhD (Microbiology) North Bengal University
Gourmand World Cookbook Award, Paris for my book Himalayan Fermented Foods: Microbiology, Nutrition, and Ethnic values in 2010.
- National Bio-Science Award of Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India in 2005.
- United Nations University Women Association-Award, Tokyo in 1996.
- North Bengal University Gold Medal in 1984, North Bengal University Silver Medal in 1982.
- Fellow of National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) in 2013
- Fellow of Association of Microbiologists of India (FAMI) in 2010.
- Fellow of Biotech Research Society of India (FBRS) in 2006.
Areas of Specialization
Microbiology of fermented foods and beverages of the Himalayas for last 26 years focusing on culture-dependent and culture-independent techniques of microbial diversity, their nutritional profiles, probiotics and functional properties
- Oki, K., Rai, A.K., Sato, S., Watanabe, K. and Tamang, J.P. (2011) ‘Lactic acid bacteria isolated from ethnic preserved meat products of the Western Himalayas’, Food Microbiology,28: 1308-1315.
- Tamang, B., Tamang, J.P., Schillinger, U., Franz, C.M.A.P., Gores, M. and Holzapfel, W.H. (2008) ‘Phenotypic and genotypic identification of lactic acid bacteria isolated from ethnic fermented tender bamboo shoots of North East India’, International Journal of Food Microbiology,121: 35-40.
- Tamang, J.P., Tamang, B., Schillinger, U., Franz, C.M.A.P., Gores, M. and Holzapfel, W.H. (2005)‚ Identification of predominant lactic acid bacteria isolated from traditional fermented vegetable products of the Eastern Himalayas’, International Journal of Food Microbiology,105 (3): 347-356.